Thursday, June 18, 2009

Reflux

Well, the littlest guy in our family has been quite fussy since he turned three months old. I was beginning to worry that I was having trouble with my milk supply since I noticed a lot of the fussiness around mealtimes. I was starting to feel like I was at the end of my rope because it seemed as though nothing I was doing was working. I had attempted to supplement with pumped milk, but Dylan would not willingly take the bottle. Finally after about two weeks of stressful days for the whole family, I took Dylan to the doctor!
To my surprise, the doctor told me that it sounded like Dylan had a classic case of infant reflux! I was shocked as Dylan rarely ever spit up. He informed me that sometimes reflux shows up in the form of heartburn in infants. Babies who are experiencing heartburn will feel hungry, but reluctant to eat as it causes them pain. I was so relived to have a cause for Dylan's new fussy behavior.
I left the doctor's office with samples of Prevacid, and orders to buy Maalox. For the next few days I am going to give Dylan a half of a Prevacid tablet dissolved in water. Then on an as needed basis I am supposed to give him 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of the Maalox. After a few days the Prevacid should be in his system so that he will no longer need to Maalox. If he seems to show improvement with the reflux medicine, the doctor will order a medicine that I can put him on until he outgrows the reflux.
Today was day 1 on the medicine. So far he is doing well. I have had to give him the Maalox twice, but his mood has been much more calm and pleasant. I am assuming that the doctor was right about the reflux. The doctor wants me to call him back after the weekend. If Dylan continues to show improvement, we will keep him on reflux medicine. If he is still fussy, the doctor wants to see him back.
On a side note, Dylan has continued to grow well despite fussiness we have experienced. He weighs 14 pounds 9 ounces at just over 3 months. Bryson was 15lbs 3oz at his 4 month appointment, and Emma was 15lbs 1oz at her 6 month appointment!!

1 comment:

  1. i just found your blog on anita's! how fun! i love what you've done!

    abigail had reflux. no fun. hopefully this will pass soon

    ReplyDelete